New Orleans Burlesque

New Orleans



In May I happened to see a post from the New Orleans Burlesque Fest inviting performers to submit audition videos to participate in the upcoming event in September. I of course sent in the video of the aerial cube act from our Pagosa Burlesque show that happened in March. Not really expecting anything I was surprised when I received the official invitation. My partner informed me she would be out of the country and I would need to replace her. Malaya, my lovely daughter was my first choice, she is already a strong aerial performer and she and I have similar body builds. Not to mention performing with my daughter is a dream come true. 





 The cube is unforgiving, painful and frustrating to master. Many days we would show up, bang and bruise, smack each other, whack our heads and get completely dizzy. The steel bars are brutal and our bodies showed the battle wounds. She and I worked for three months on the routine and sure enough after our many days of frustration we eventually made the transitions gracefully and in perfect sync. The routine looked spectacular. Our skimpy sparkly costumes were gorgeous and flattering and we were ready. 

The drive took us 3 days.We had a little detour in Houston to visit my cousin. We recruited Hunter, my son, to travel with us as we were driving two vehicles and Malaya had never driven more than three hours at one time. 

  Both of our vehicles were fully packed for our transition to Florida after the show in New Orleans. The kids followed my black Tahoe with her black Subaru, both vehicles sporting roof racks, mine holding my paddle board and hers with a cargo box. Stopping every few hours to stretch and refuel made our trip long and tedious. I felt a tremendous sense of anxiety as I would continually watch my rear view mirror making sure my two kiddos were close by. Driving through the cross country traffic, getting cut off by semi trucks and pushed by racing travelers would make my breathing  stop every time they would disappear from my sight. I felt as if my heart was out of my body and traveling behind me.


  

Sure enough we arrived safely In NOLA the day before the show and welcomed the hot showers and comfy hotel beds. 
Kirra, my daughter  and Joe, her fiance, flew in to join us the following day and we were all together in new Orleans as a family. All of my children present and accounted for including my angel daughter. Many times through out the trip I would think of Juliana and would have a warm sensation wash over me. I know without a doubt that she is with us. At one of the stops,(I had been thinking of her as we pulled over) a giant butterfly climbed onto my hand. The butterfly drove with me in my vehicle for almost 100 miles then finally flew away.  

House of Blues
We walked the cube through the streets of New Orleans French Quarter, set up at the House of Blues ran through a rehearsal. The shows were scheduled for that evening, one at 8pm and one at 11pm. 
Being in that venue was mind blowing. 
The energy in the building felt tingly charged with excitement and history.
Hunter volunteered to help with the show and got to be a behind the scenes stage hand, “stage kitten” wearing a pair of black fuzzy cat ears. The Girls loved him.
 What an experience, the best part is I got to share it with my children.  Being on the aerial cube with my darling daughter, seeing her face as we spun and twirled, listening to the cheering crowd, the music, the flashing lights, knowing my other beautiful daughter was in the audience, and my son back stage, all of it felt absolutely magical.
This will most definitely be on of my all time favorite memories.  


When life gives you an opportunity to show up “yes” is definitely the most fun answer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Infinite Possibilities

Pain

Traveling With Mama