Mexico


Lessons from Mexico
This trip was a spontaneous decision, which came about over lunch at our local Mexican restaurant.
My son and I were having a post work out meal when we ran into some friends having their lunch. We chatted and showed pictures of some fun partner yoga postures. I of course boasting about how strong my 19 yr old boy is and then they asked if I would like to go to Mexico with them. Without hesitation I agreed and that was it.  Two days later I purchased my ticket and two weeks after that was on a plane to visit a country that at one point was my home. Traveling alone as I like it. On my journey I decided that this would be a great opportunity to dive deep into my meditative self and focus on simply being present. This is what I discovered.


First of all this was the first trip I took with no real agenda, it was just a vacation simply for the sake of taking a vacation. I have traveled many places but each of those trips had a purpose, some reason I had to go. This trip was for nothing but my enjoyment.

I loved having absolutely no commitment, no structure around my day.
 
Second being alone is my favorite. I am truly an introvert. I have the ability to communicate with just about anyone.  I am confident enough but I realized the outgoing cheerleader personality that I sport most of my days is not who I really am. I prefer to be quiet, to just listen, to breathe, and feel.
  


Third keeping an open mind is helpful when first meeting people. The ladies that I was staying with were kind and fun and I really had only just met them on our trip. We had never spent any time together in our home- town.
 I chose to stay neutral and do what I could to just enjoy their unique personalities. It turned out that by accepting these women exactly as they were was the best strategy. I did truly enjoy getting to know them and had many laughs during our stay. I feel like I have a group of new sweet sisters.
 

Finally, being Mexican, as a child growing up in a poor half- breed family my heritage was a source of embarrassment. I was mad at my father for not being a good provider and having too many children to take care of. I was embarrassed of his culture and my last name. Being Mexican meant many negative things to me, (which I will not be discussing at this point) speaking the language was the last thing I ever wanted to do. I was exposed to the language at a very young age and had developed an authentic accent. When I was little I refused to speak Spanish. As an adult I can understand a lot of what I hear but I speak like a two year old.
Visiting Mexico with a new intention and mind set, as a grown woman who has come to terms with her upbringing was amazing.
What I discovered is Mexico is beautiful. The people are lovely. The tradition and culture are Rich and complex, the language intriguing. And I was accepted completely. When I opened my mouth to speak and the accent sounded right the sweet people accepted me as one of their own. I was told the reason I was so beautiful to them is because I looked like them. I got hugs and smiles and knuckels from complete strangers that were now my blood family.
This Mexican culture is very proud and I felt that pride coursing through my veins. Finally being ok with who I am and where I come from. I am indeed grateful to be apart of Mexico.
They called me Paisana, which means from the country. What a complement!
Coming back from my trip I had a feeling of love and pride and a new desire to introduce my children to this beautiful country, and to their heritage.  








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Topless Ballooning

You don't have to do it alone

body image secrets